The GetBusy add-in for Microsoft Outlook provides a quick way to convert emails into productive GetBusy threads.
There are two versions of the GetBusy Outlook Add-in available.
This article refers to the Universal Outlook Add-in, rather than the 'Windows Outlook Add-in'. Please review this Microsoft Outlook Add-ins article to determine which add-in version is most appropriate for you.
- Microsoft Outlook: 2016, 2019, Office 365 for Windows, Mac and Web
- Microsoft Exchange: 2016, 2019, Online / Office 365
- Microsoft Operating System: Windows 8 or later, Windows Server 2016 or later
Whilst older combinations of Outlook, Exchange and Operating Systems, such as Outlook 2013 running on Windows Server 2012, may allow you to install the add-in. Some add-in features may not work. If this is the case, please consider using our Windows Outlook Add-in.
If you are using an email service that is not based on Microsoft Exchange, such as GMail, this is not supported by the Universal Microsoft Add-in framework. If this is the case, please consider using our Windows Outlook Add-in.
If you are using Internet Explorer 11 for browser access to the web version of Outlook, please note that this is not supported.
Installing the add-in
You can install the add-in manually in Outlook for Windows, Mac & Web using the following process:
- In Outlook, click Get Add-ins from the Home tab on the ribbon.
- In the Add-Ins dialog, use the search field to find the GetBusy add-in and click Add.
If you don't have these options, it is possible that they have been disabled within your Office365/Exchange configuration, in which case it is possible for the add-in to be centrally deployed by your IT contact. This Microsoft knowledgebase article provides useful information on how to get the Add-in.
N.B. You may need to restart Microsoft Outlook before the add-in appears and operates correctly.
- Once installed, the add-in will automatically update when new versions become available.
Using the add-in
Following the installation of the add-in and a restart of Microsoft Outlook, a new GetBusy button group will appear in your Outlook ribbon.
With an email selected, you can click one of the available options:
- Add creates a new GetBusy thread from the email, but excludes any email participants.
- Add with people creates a new GetBusy thread from the email, including adding all email participants to GetBusy as both connections and participants on the thread.
The following will then occur:
- The GetBusy Desktop App for Windows will be started, or come into focus if it's already running.
- You will be prompted to sign into the GetBusy Desktop App if you have not already done so.
- A new GetBusy thread window will open and be pre-populated using information from the email as follows:
- Email subject -> GetBusy thread title
- Email body -> GetBusy extra information
- Original email -> GetBusy attachments (in MSG format)
- Email attachments -> GetBusy attachments
- If using 'Add with people' -> Email addresses in To:, From: Cc: -> GetBusy participants (connections are created in GetBusy automatically)
You can remove or replace any of the data transferred from the converted email before creating the thread in GetBusy, such as removing participants, attachments, or removing parts of the message body that are not helpful.
Read more about other ways to connect GetBusy with other tools you're using: