Edit and co-author Microsoft Office documents within Workiro
- Empower your productivity: Utilize the full potential of Microsoft Office for the Web's features and capabilities directly within Workiro.
- Improve communication: Share Microsoft Office documents for group review, your connections don't need a Workiro account1 and multiple users can collaborate on the same document simultaneously.
- Real-time collaboration: Changes made by one user are instantly visible to other co-authors, ensuring that everyone is working on the most up-to-date version of the document. This real-time collaboration reduces the risk of conflicting changes and ensures accuracy in the final document.
In this guide
Opening documents in Microsoft Office for the web
The following file types (and max size) can be opened in Microsoft Office for the web, these are easily identified in Workiro via the Microsoft Office Icons:
- .docx (100MB)
- .xlsx (25MB)
- .pptx (300MB)
Microsoft Office Documents can be opened for editing in two ways:
1. Via the document context menu
- Click on the ellipses (...) against a Microsoft Office document
- Then click "Open in Word/Excel/PowerPoint for the web"
2. Via the document viewer
- Open a Microsoft Office document in the Workiro viewer
- Then click "Open in Word/Excel/PowerPoint for the web" located at the top of the viewer
Whilst working on a document in Microsoft Office for the web, changes are automatically saved to the document as they are made, reducing the risk of data loss due to accidental closing of tabs, browser crashes or power cuts.
- When you have finished making changes to a document, to save it back to Workiro as a new version, simply close the tab once you see the notification "Saved to Workiro" displayed alongside the title:
- After a couple of moments, the document in Workiro will be updated with the latest changes, with an audit entry indicating the user that uploaded the latest changes.
Co-authoring with other users
Multiple users can work on the same document together by opening the document at the same time as described above. No more sending a file to multiple users, making sure each user is properly using check-in / check-out or merging everyone’s changes.
- Documents can be co-authored with Team Members, other Workiro users and people without Workiro accounts.
- When co-authoring a document, users will experience real-time visibility of changes made by each user through Microsoft Office for the Web's presence indicators & document updates:
- Upon closure of the document by the last user, any changes are automatically saved back to Workiro, and the latest contributions are attributed to that user.
1 Business users require a Microsoft Office 365 subscription to edit files in Microsoft Office for the web.